A letter received from Mark Biagio:
What a job, well done!
I thought I would give you my 2c from a distance on the event. I must say going into the event I was a little in the dark as to what would happen. With the passing of Glynnis, I was even more concerned. As the pre worlds event unfolded it was evident that all was falling into place.
So here are some bullet points:
- SAP – wow that sponsorship was key! It looked like they rolled in, and brought the whole enchilada.
- Tracking was good, better than previous worlds, less technical issues.
- Live commentary was great! They could not talk better about the venue, people and the sailing! I bet this made many internationals grumpy that they missed out.
- Live sailing feed from Thursday was perfect.
- Photography was nice, from Favreau and others.
- Facilities, there was no complaint on any forum or about the launching area, the busy port etc. So well done ABYC, maybe it would have been crazy with 100 boats – but hey!
- Websites, we found a way for all the websites (SAP, ABYC and Ours) to live together which was interesting and I think worked. Thanks Alan for assisting us with ours.
- SAP Daily video clips , were cool, maybe not as polished as other worlds but great none the less.
So I’m not sure how the rest worked out, measuring, catering etc. But from here I must say I could not help thinking “Damn this is really happening in SA and its working nicely, without SAP I don’t think we could have done it”. We’ve set the new standard for worlds in SA.
So enjoy the break, hopefully your families will take you back now. Well done and in my opinion it was better than previous worlds, because we had the SAP tech, great people and a great place to sail.
Oh, well sailed Funkes … and Richard your last race was epic! Now if you guys can just share the secret of why Holt is 1.5 knots faster than anyone else – I’d appreciate it.